Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Cluck, cluck, cluck

Sometimes I have a hard time committing to a certain way of thinking or lifestyle that I think I would want to live.  For example, I was a vegetarian from the end of my sophomore in high school to the beginning of my sophomore year in college.  Now, I did eat fish often (making me a pescevegetarian) and even went back to chicken.  I stayed away from red meat for the whole time.  So, now that I look at it, I never really WAS a true vegetarian (though many will argue otherwise...maybe to justify).  

I became a vegetarian because of a nutty woman, invited by our even nuttier Chemistry teacher, who came to visit our school.  My chemistry teacher made the comment to ultimately move me to my decision not to eat red meat or chicken for some time.  However, this woman was from PETA. Thinking back, this was a horrible way to take advantage of our impressionable and radical, teenage minds!  I remember meeting in our town annex and eating veggie dogs for the first time.  She spoke very passionately about her cause and handed out buttons, brochures, bumper stickers, etc.  Asking us young people to deface government property and get our younger siblings involved and even revolt against our parents at the dinner table!  Hilarious.

She ended up only conducting a few meetings because she was arrested a few weeks later for dressing up as a chicken and protesting at a Perdue conference of some sort.  True story.

Anyway...I just think it was a bit extreme.  Which I understand is there whole mission. What do you think about the fact that they got us involved at such a young age?


No comments:

Post a Comment