Thursday, July 16, 2009

Art.

I love art. If I were to go back to school and specialize in an area, it would be art. I dream of having my own art studio for kids, similar to thisone. Amazing. There are a few kids' studios in the area but, they're a little bit of a hike and, in my opinion...don't seem to compare! For now, we continue to have our own little explorations with materials here at home! I'm sure that I'll have many more posts of some of the different activities that we do, if there's interest! ;)

I'll leave you with a few fun books to check out! We found all of them at our library!

Growing Artists: This one is a text book so, it's super expensive to purchase. However, it gives a nice philosophy about teaching art. I think it's a great one for anyone because, it teaches you how to have open-ended projects and how to give non-judgmental praise. I think this is crucial to raising a child with no boundaries to their creativity!

first art: Another book that focuses on the PROCESS, not the end product. It has a lot of variety as far as different mediums go. Who knew that there were so many different types of paste!

What Your Preschooler Needs to Know: These books are great. However, I know that some parents can become a little obsessed/overwhelmed with everything that's covered. So, like everything else, if we practice some balance and use it for IDEAS/SUGGESTIONS...it's perfect for that. Just understand that your child is NOT going to FAIL preschool just because you haven't exposed them to EVERYTHING in the book!

The reason I wanted it in this post is because, I like that it has a few artists and their work. Then, it gives suggestions on how you can talk to your children about it. It gets them thinking/interpreting art! Several art museums have programs like this, too! Check out a museum (or museum website!) and see what resources they have for parents!

What books, websites and/or projects can you share?

No comments:

Post a Comment